Sunday 6 June 2010

Salvo's - Take II

I managed to squeeze in another date with Salvo's before I left Leeds for five seasons. I wouldn't normally write a review for every visit I made to a restaurant, however, my second experience at Salvo's was quite different to my first, so I thought this post was necessary.

Surprisingly, my many food experiences do not include gnocchi. Where better to try gnocchi other than the best local Italian voted by Gordan himself? As I couldn't make up my mind on my starter, I went halves with the skewered fresh king prawns grilled with chilli and lemon, and the gnocchi.

The gnocchi was doughy but not by too much. The dumplings were so bouncy that you could almost play a little bouncy ball game with them and your tongue in your mouth. The gnocchi was served in a mozzerella, cherry tomato and basil sauce which was gently complemented the personality of the lively little potato balls.

I ordered the braised lamb shoulder with wine and rosemary, served with a grilled lamb chop and dauphinoise potatoes for my main dish.

The lamb was just beautiful. It had an incredibly soft texture that fell apart the second you touched it with your fork. It melted in the mouth. The meat was rich and succulent. The initial burst of flavour across my tastebuds reminded me of just how much I love lamb.

I would have, personally, preferred the sauce to be a little thicker and there to be more of it. The flavours in the sauce were very mild, so I think I would have also enjoyed a stronger flavoured sauce. Minimal vegetables accompanied the dish, which I was disappointed about as I do love my veg. However, there were many options for vegetable side orders. I was tempted to order the zucchini, aubergine and mint but actually completely forgot when I placed my order.

The panna cotta completely overwhelmed me on my previous visit to Salvo's, so I decided to go for the whole thing as my dessert on this visit. To be quite honest, it was a little disappointing.

The smooth silky texture was there but this time it was much too sweet for my liking. I accompanied my panna cotta with an americano (in attempt to warm up as it was getting rather nippy at this point of the evening!) and a sweet and aromatic Frangelico.

Perhaps because my expectations were so high of Salvo's because my previous visit was so enduring and I had left on such a massive high. The drizzly weather and our soggy feet most likely dampened our spirits a little too - and being sat outside excluded us from the firey Italian atmosphere which I very much enjoyed on my first visit.

Don't get me wrong - this visit has not put me off of Salvo's, not at all. I am pretty gutted that I wont be able to dine here until atleast September 2011, when I return from California. Hey, I'm sure there's plenty of lovely restaurants over there to keep me entertained...!

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 10, 2010

    i don't like dumplings, but would kill and eat a million baby lambs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I love hearing from you.